20, 22 June 2018 ( Lecture)
26 June 2018 (Half Day Visit to Shatin Sewage Treatment Plant)
This two and half day course will provide the basic knowledge for the delegates to work on sewage treatment plant. After attending the course, the delegates should be able to apply the design principles, understand the operational aspects of equipment and be able to apply the skills to problem shooting. People who are working on greywater treatment plant and rain water harvesting plant will also benefit.
Target Audience: Designer, Process Engineers, Operators, Technicians and Regulators.
1. Design Criteria for Sewage Treatment Plant :
– Flow estimation
– Water quality requirements of treated effluent
– Consideration of land and cost constraints .
2. Wastewater Treatment Processes:
• Preliminary treatment of Screening :
– Grit Removal/Grit De-watering ( e.g. Grit Channel, Detritor or Mechanically Stirred Grit Chamber and Aerated Grit Chamber)
• Primary Sedimentation :
– Settling behavior, design of Sedimentation Tank
• Secondary Treatment ( Biological Treatment) :
– Principle of Activated Sludge Process and design
– Principle of Rotating Biological Contactor (RBC) and design
– Disinfection: Definition, Purpose and Types (e.g. Chlorination System, UV
disinfection, Ozonation, Dechlorination, Hydrogen Peroxide etc.)
• Tertiary Treatment ( or Advanced Wastewater Treatment) :
– Purpose and unit processing with flow diagrams
– Filtration and Membrane Filters
– Nitrogen Removal: Biological Nitrification and De-nitrification processes
including simultaneous process, and sequencing batch reactors, Ammonia
3. Sludge Treatment :
– Thickening including Gravity Thickener, and Dissolved Air Floatation (DAF)
– Sludge Conditioning
– Dewatering : including Belt Press, Filter Press and Centrifuge Tower
– Phosphorus Removal
– Reverse Osmosis
4. Operational and maintenance problems :
– Odour control (e.g. bio-trickling filters).
Fung Pik Chi, James
Education and Professional Qualifications
Mr. Fung obtained a MSc ( Civil Engineering ) in the University of Hawaii, U.S.A. He has over 10 years’experience in the wastewater industry in Hong Kong and Singapore. He joined the Hong Kong Polytechnic University in 1987 and became a Lecturer in the Environmental Engineering Unit, Dept. of Civil & Structural Engineering. He was a course leader for High Certificate in Water Pollution Control and Waste and Water Management respectively. He was a lecturer of the MSc Environmental Engineering and Environmental Management programme teaching Advanced Wastewater Treatment & Sludge Disposal and Solid and Hazardous Waste Management.
For more details, please send an email to [email protected]